Chicago can get pretty hot in the summer. Here are some tips of things to do around your Chicago home to temper the heat a bit.
- Turn on the fans, circulating air can reduces the room temperature by a few degrees.
- If you are using an air conditioner, place a fan in front of it for better distribution of cool air.
- White window treatments prevent can block heat and make sure you close west and south facing windows to keep the sun out.
- Use ultraviolet blocking films and awnings on south-facing windows to cut down heat exposure.
- Change your landscaping by adding shade trees or vines.
- Use florescent bulbs in light fixtures – they emit less heat!
- Replace and repair any caulking or weather-stripping.
- Make sure you fireplace flue is closed.
- Upgrade your air conditioning unit to maximize efficiency.
- Choose light colors in paint, concrete, and roof material to reflect as much light (and heat) as possible.
- Use recipes that can be prepared in the microwave, rather than the oven.
- Unplug appliances that are not in use, as they may generate a small amount of warmth.
Hopefully incorporating some of these tips will help you to stay cool, despite the blazing heat of summer in your Chicago home.