Celebrate our city’s dance scene during Chicago Dance Month! This second annual month-long event includes dance performances, master classes and more.
Thematically, Chicago Dance Month 2014 connects many of these events through the rubric of “Open Doors, Open Spaces,” a construct that illuminates Chicago’s rich dance tapestry, while simultaneously celebrating the venues, artists, and unique spaces that contribute to the ongoing and growing diversity of Chicago’s dance scene. The month-long celebration culminates and extends into the first week of May in honor of National Dance Week, April 27-May 4.
Open Doors Artists and companies host behind the scenes access into intimate rehearsal settings, in many cases sharing excerpts of new works with attendees.
- April 10: Ensemble Espanol Dance Theater Youth Company Open Rehearsal
Northeastern Illinois University
- April 12: Hyde Park School of Dance Open Rehearsal
First Unitarian Church
- April 24: Yoga & Dance Experience
Ganesha Yogaand Adventures in Fitness
- April 25: Lucky Plush Open Rehearsal
- April 26: Community Rhythms: A Celebration of Dance in the Parks
Austin Town Hall Park
- May 1: Contemporary Bharatanatyam In-Studio
Soham Dance Space
- May 2: Maud Le Pladec Artists & Process
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
Open Spaces A series of extended showcase events! Venues and artists open their performances spaces for multiple encounters over several hours, allowing attendees to drop in anytime and witness (and perhaps interact with) dancemakers who are exploring new ideas.
- April 11: American Rhythm Center Class Sampler & Tap Jam
American Rhythm Center
- April 18: Aerial Dance Experience
Aerial Dance Chicago
- April 22: PIVOT 10 Occupies the MCA
Harris Theater for Music and Dance