For the 12th year, Andersonville is thrilled to celebrate many of the artists and designers who live and work in the neighborhood with Andersonville Arts and Design Weekend. Explore the dozens of artists on display in many of the neighborhood’s businesses. During this year’s event, they also will pay tribute to the home stores that have put Andersonville on the map as a home design destination, and all the local businesses that help create a vibrant neighborhood year-round.
Friday night will kick off with the always-popular Night of 100 pARTies!, an evening of receptions up and down Clark Street, followed by a self-guided art walk on Saturday and Sunday. There are also a variety of performances and other events (many of them free) to enjoy. Here are a few:
Friday, October 10
- Join Spex for their opening night wine & cheese reception and a trunk show from Beausoleil Eyewear. 6:00-9:00pm
- During Night of 100 pARTies, Green Genes owner and featured artist Heather Muenstermann will set up a mini open studio to demonstrate her use of mixed media, including beeswax, found objects and ephemera. 6:00-10:00pm
- Enjoy hors d’oeuvres & cocktails while listening to music from the folk/alternative rock band “Ain’t Dead Yet” and viewing works on display from Chicago art collective 4-Outside. 6:00-10:00pm
- Artist and jewelry designer Attalie Dexter (Shades of Grey Jewelry) will be on hand to demonstrate her craft and answer questions while guests sip on wine and champagne. 6:00-10:00pm
- Join 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman for a “toast” to White Attic & Scout on their 10 year anniversary and celebrate Andersonville’s home & design stores with refreshments! 5221-25 N. Clark Street. 7 pm
Saturday, October 11
- Join 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman to celebrate the unveiling of “Women & Children First Way” in honor of former WCF owners Linda Bubon and Ann Christophersen; and meet-and-greet new owners Lynn Mooney and Sarah Hollenbeck. 10:00am
- Stu Water’s of Stu’s Bloody Mary’s and Pickles will be sampling Bloody Mary’s. 11:00am-1:00pm
- The pH Comedy Theater Adventure Library! – Kids jump on stage and help us re-write their favorite books using the power of their imaginations and laughter. This show is laugh out loud funny for any member of the family. Tickets $12/$8 for kids. 2:00pm
- An evening of performances featuring Chicago-based dance company Ballet 5:8 and live DJ music. The Semeiotic Gallery opens at 6:00pm. 7:00pm
Sunday, October 12
- Join 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman, the Baxter family and the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce to celebrate and honor Jan Baxter, Andersonville business owner and pioneer for 30 years. An Open House in the Landmark will include refreshments and a toast to Jan’s impact and future! Noon-2:00pm
- Sunday pHunday – A whole new night with all new performances by The pH Comedy Theater. The house teams will mix it up with guests from the Chicago (and beyond??) community as well as special pH guests each week. Tickets $10/$5 for students, or 2 for 1 with an Arts Weekend brochure. 8:00pm
- Andersonville Galleria — Many of the artists at the Andersonville Galleria will be doing demonstrations throughout the weekend. Check with the store for a complete schedule.
- Room Service — Artist Ian Sklarsky will be creating his fabulous blind contour portraits for interested parties from noon-6pm on Saturday and Sunday. Visit or call the store for more information. 773-878-5438
- Heather Riordan — Accordian music from around the world. Look for Heather playing impromptu concerts around the neighborhood.
- Polarity Ensemble Theatre — Look for Polarity Ensemble Theatre performing excerpts from the Afterlife Trilogy at various locations around the neighborhood.
- Swedish American Museum — Free admission all weekend! Saturday, 11:00am-5:00pm; Sunday 11:00am-4:00pm