The Auditorium Theatre will open its doors for a free Family Fun Day full of interactive activities and hands-on experiences highlighting the rich history of the landmark theatre. Allowing families to discover all of the magic the Auditorium has to offer both then and now, activities and entertainment are broken into three sections.
Be A Part of History
- Family Friendly Tours
- Brownie Bonanza
- Stained Glass Ornaments
- Stories from the Past
Engage With the Community
- Passport Scavenger Hunt
- Musical Instrument Petting Zoo
Create at the Auditorium
- Become a Backup Singer
- Family Dance Ballet
- Make ‘Em’ Laugh
From 1-5 p.m. admission is free and the full schedule of events is as follows:
ONGOING ACTIVITIES (1-5PM)
- Scavenger Hunt (Recommended for ALL AGES): Explore the nooks and crannies of the Auditorium, and ensure you don’t miss a thing by completing the Family Scavenger Hunt! Guests can show completed booklets to staff at two check-in points treat and to be entered in our “Family Night Out” Raffle!
- Stained Glass Ornaments (Recommended for ALL AGES): Create an ornament to take home with you!
- Birthday Doodles (Recommended for ALL AGES): Many of the famous performers who have stepped onto our stage left a doodle for our theatre crew. Check out some celebrity doodles, then add your own birthday doodle to our collection!
- CJP Instrument Petting Zoo (Recommended for ALL AGES): Interact with the instruments played by musicians on our stage!
- Lyric Opera (Recommended for ALL AGES): Discover the connection that this iconic Chicago opera company has with the Auditorium Theatre, while participating in fun, interactive activities!
- Make ‘Em Laugh (Recommended for ages 7+): Jump in and improvise with some of our favorite improvisers and comedians!
- Concessions Open: Selling soda, popcorn, and candy at reduced cost, as well as 125th merch.
- FAMILY DANCE CLASSES WITH JOFFREY BALLET (Recommended for ALL AGES): Learn to move like a Joffrey dancer in this family experience fitting for all ages and abilities! (Absolutely no dance experience needed!)
- BACKUP SINGER DANCE MOVES WITH JENNIFER EDGECOMB (Recommended for ages 7+): Test out your best backup moves as you explore the rock-n-roll performers who have stepped onto the Auditorium Theatre’s stage over the years.
- CREATIVE DRAMA WITH DREAM BIG PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP (Recommended for ages 3-7): Young artists take center stage as they explore their favorite stories!
- INTERACTIVE TOURS | Meet in front of patron services (Recommended for ALL AGES): Explore behind the scenes of the Auditorium Theatre and walk across the historic stage! Tours last approximately 30 minutes.
- 1:15PM, 1:30PM, 2:00PM, 2:15PM, 2:45PM, 3PM, 3:30PM, 3:45PM, 4:15PM, 4:30PM
- GHOSTS OF CHICAGO THEATRES (Recommended for ages 7+): Families can stop by to hear about the haunts of our theater and other Chicago theatres. No sign-in necessary.
- 1:15PM, 1:45PM, 2:15PM, 3PM, 3:30PM, 4PM, 4:30PM
- WORLD’S FIRST BROWNIE COOKING DEMONSTRATIONS (Recommended for ALL AGES): Families can gather around at the specified times to watch Elise Mayfield, from FOX’s Master Chef, demo the Palmer House Brownie recipe and taste this world famous dessert!
The Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, an Illinois not-for-profit organization, is committed to presenting the finest in international, cultural, community and educational programming to Chicago and to the continued restoration and preservation of the National Historic Landmark Auditorium Theatre.